Servants of the Star & the Snake is a collection of eighteen essays by fourteen different writers on the work of Steffi and Kenneth Grant. Compiled and edited by Henrik Bogdan, it was published in September 2018 in a first edition of 1,000 copies. In octavo format and running to 360 pages, the book is a sewn-bound hardback, with a sepia frontispiece, a twenty-four page section of colour and half-tone plates, illustrated endpapers, and a full-colour dustjacket.
Kenneth and Steffi Grant’s diverse published work extends across six decades, taking in articles on Advaita in Indian magazines from the early 1950s; a series of illustrated essays, known collectively as the Carfax Monographs, from the late 1950s to the early 1960s; their magnum opus, the Typhonian Trilogies, from 1972 to 2002; studies of the work of Austin Osman Spare in 1975 and 1998; poetry collections in 1963, 1970 and 2005; and a series of novellas from 1997 to 2012.
Each piece of writing included in Servants of the Star & the Snake explores a different facet of this extensive body of work. Whilst the contributors have adopted different approaches to their subjects – ranging from scholarly discussions through to fictional narratives – what they have in common is an appreciation of the extraordinary work and legacy of the most influential couple in the history of modern occultism, Kenneth and Steffi Grant.
The pieces of writing which comprise this fascinating and inspiring collection include:
- Kenneth Grant: Servant-Satguru-Savant, by Martin P. Starr;
- From Zos-Kia to the As-If: Kenneth Grant and Austin Osman Spare, by Michael Staley;
- Advaita Vedanta in the Works of Kenneth Grant, by Henrik Bogdan;
- Kenneth Grant and Lord Kusum Haranath, by Ruth Bauer;
- From Central Africa to the Mauve Zone: Gerald Massey’s Influence on Kenneth Grant’s Idea of the Typhonian Tradition, by Christian Giudice;
- Lam and the Typhonian Tradition, by Michael Staley;
- Inside Outer Space, by Kyle Fite;
- The Other Woman: Babalon and the Scarlet Woman in Kenneth Grant’s Typhonian Trilogies, by Manon Hedenborg-White;
- The Nuclear Art of Steffi Grant, by Henrik Bogdan;
- The Art of Darkness: Kenneth Grant and the Unity of the Soul, by Vadge Moore;
- Kenneth Grant and Maat, by Nema;
- Clarity versus Weirdness: A Vital Tension Within Magical Culture, by Ramsey Dukes;
- Foundations of the Typhonian Trilogies, by Michael Staley;
- Beyond Crowley: The Foundations of Sexual Magick, by Jan Fries;
- Evocation of the Fire Snake: Kenneth Grant and Tantra, by Henrik Bogdan;
- The Magic in Fiction, by Alistair Coombs;
- The Role of H. P. Lovecraft in the Work of Kenneth Grant, by Stephen Dziklewicz;
- Shakti in Chinatown, by Michael Bertiaux.
Dustjacket designed by Maria Lindberg Bogdan, incorporating artwork by Austin Osman Spare.
The standard edition, 978-1-906073-39-8, is bound in black cloth and priced at £25.00. Postage and packing is an additional £5.00 within the UK, £9.00 within European countries outside the UK, and £14.00 elsewhere. For customers in Canada and the USA, the standard edition should be ordered from Holmes Publishing, our distributors there. For all customers not in Canada or the USA, payments can be made directly by Paypal to email@example.com (in Sterling only) or by accessing the Paypal shopping cart buttons here.
Payment can also be made (again, in Sterling only) by a cheque drawn on a UK bank, or by International Money Order or Banker’s Draft. Cheques, money orders or drafts should be made payable to ’Starfire Publishing Ltd.’ and posted to Starfire Publishing Ltd., BCM Starfire, London WC1N 3XX, United Kingdom.
The deluxe edition, 978-1-906073-40-4, will be limited to 100 copies, with boards bound in hand-made paper and with an additional leather quarter-binding across the spine, With full-colour dust-jacket, black and white custom printed endpapers, and with top and tail bands to the binding, the book will be housed in a cloth-bound slipcase. Each copy will hand-numbered, and signed by the compiler and editor, Henrik Bogdan, and Michael Staley, the Publisher. Expected to be available in October/November 2018, advance orders are being taken now. The price is £130.00. Postage and packing is an additional £7.00 within the UK, £15.00 within Europe, and £18.00 elsewhere. Payments can be made directly by Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org (in Sterling only) or by accessing the Paypal shopping cart here. Payment can also be made (again, in Sterling only) by a cheque drawn on a UK bank, or by International Money Order or Banker’s Draft. Cheques, money orders or drafts should be made payable to ’Starfire Publishing Ltd.’ and posted to Starfire Publishing Ltd., BCM Starfire, London WC1N 3XX, United Kingdom.